Marketing is a landscape that changes regularly. Right now, those changes may seem more drastic as more and more people are shopping online. Digital marketing, especially, is changing, and may be more important than ever for businesses of all shapes and sizes.
So how can you keep up with the ever-changing marketing landscape? Put together by a Black-owned marketing agency, here are 10 tips that will help you optimize your marketing strategy to last through 2020 and beyond.
1. Look for Ways to Diversify – You may not have the budget to market in every distribution channel available right now. Instead, look for ways to diversify your strategy. Research your audience and focus on the most effective means of marketing your products or services. Identify niche areas and sub-channels where you can cut through the noise. Some good options include social media, YouTube, and blogging channels.
2. Utilize Paid Social – More than 80% of social marketers use Facebook ads. Other paid advertising options are also gaining ground, such as Pinterest and Instagram. Platforms continue to tweak algorithms in a way that makes strong branding a must. Focus your efforts on branding – be consistent and engage with readers on social media platforms.
3. Don’t Forget about Existing Content – Of course, adding new content to your website consistently is a great way to stay relevant and ahead of the search engine curve. But don’t forget about existing content, which can also benefit your marketing strategy. To use existing content to its fullest potential:
- Identify the most popular posts and use analytics to guide your future content strategies.
- Update existing content with new visuals, data, or perspectives. Then, republish it.
- Repurpose older content as a video, guide, report, or infographic.
4. Make the Most of Brand Advocates – Many people choose where to shop based on advice and experiences from their friends and family. That means that your customers are powerful tools to help you reach more people and new audiences. Create a campaign that offers your customers an incentive to spread the word about your business. Friend/family referrals with rewards are a great way to do that. If you want to spread the word on social media, create a hashtag that links back to your business.
5. Routinely Optimize the User Experience – No matter how great your website or marketing strategy is, it won’t help you drive conversions if your website doesn’t operate properly. As most web designers would suggest, optimize the user experience by making sure that your website runs smoothly. Optimize the site speed and navigation, and make sure that the site runs properly on mobile devices.
6. Connect Your Offline and Online Strategies – Connect your offline and online marketing strategies to make the most of both. In-person events are a great way to build brand awareness and make new connections. During in-person events, identify the ways that customers can connect with you afterward. Perhaps engaging through email or signing up for a free product or service demo.
7. Make Authenticity a Priority – One of the most important aspects of any marketing strategy is authenticity. Customers tend to avoid salesy marketing content. Instead, they prefer content that is authentic to the brand and those that represent it. Build authenticity by having a face for your business, not just a name. Use Facebook Live, host live podcasts, or conduct online Zoom meetings. Don’t worry about making mistakes. Your audience will respond to your natural and authentic personality.
8. Make Your Message Memorable – When building your brand, make sure to make your message memorable. Even if you veer away from your usual marketing strategies, it is sometimes a good idea to focus more on being likeable and memorable. Be creative and tell a story that your audience can connect to.
9. Build Partnerships – Building partnerships with online influencers is a great way to market and build your online community. Collaborating with influencers in your industry also helps build your credibility and can help you reach many more customers than ever before.
10. Make Performance Analysis an Ongoing Project – As you implement new marketing tactics, make sure to periodically analyze the success or failure of each campaign. By doing this on an ongoing basis, you can adjust your ongoing and future marketing strategies accordingly.